A person may want to see a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner to take care of any physical injuries, test for pregnancy, test for STIs, and collect evidence for police.
The whole SANE exam may take up to four hours. It is preferred, but not required, that you come directly to the hospital without showering or changing to preserve forensic evidence. Bring a change of clothes so that you can change following the examination. The victim/survivor has the right to end the examination at any time, for any reason.
SANE 24-hour response line:
- Sydney and greater Cape Breton areas: 1-844-858-8036
- Guysborough, Antigonish, Pictou and Richmond Counties: 1-877-880-SANE (7263)
- Cumberland, Colchester, East Hants and Eastern Shore areas: 1-833-757-SANE (7263)
- Halifax area: 902-425-0122
- Annapolis Valley, South Shore and Tri County areas: 1-833-577-SANE (7263)